Organ Renovation Project
381 Main Street - Middletown, Connecticut
Parish est. 1624 - Church built 1874
The current organ (The Haskell Memorial Organ) is a 1921 Casavant instrument that incorporates the facade and much pipework from the 1861 Hook & Hastings organ. After several decades of "make do" repairs and various additions, we are beginning to piece together a comprehensive rebuilding project that will ensure this instrument will continue for many generations to come.
1760 Crown and Mitre organ donated by Capt. Richard Alsop (a loyalist) (South Green)
This organ was a small tracker (mechanical) organ that had some detail engraving on the front of the case which included a bishop's mitre (hat) entwined with a crown, symbolizing the King of England. As the revolution fever grew, this bit of decoration became the subject of much consternation! When the congregation relocated to a new church building on Broad Street, a new organ was installed, without decoration...
John Porter installs new organ in exchange for existing instrument
EG & G Hook and Hastings Organ ($2000
and Porter organ)
Moved to new building, a water motor was installed
1921 Casavant organ gift of Miss Ella Haskell ($20,000.)
MP Moller (of Hagerstown, MD) contracted for repairs and maintenance. Reeds revoiced
New Harmonic Trumpet (the current chamade) installed in the Solo chamber.
Moller dismissed, JH Brunner contracted for maintenance.
Major water damage to Pedal Diapason. JH Brunner and Austin consulted.
LG Monette (tonal finisher for Aeolian Skinner of Boston) renovation Not
Renovation by Ferrara & Bishop begun. Maintenance contract
New pedal chest installed, old Great
Diapason moved to this chest
1966 New console built by
Casavant, John Fenstermaker, consultant.
1968 Francois Gendron
Casavant Organ men take care of this organ
1969 Austin Organs (Charles
Aitken and Alan McNeely) Maintenance
Tin slide tuners installed in Swell and Great
(through late 1970s ?
1980 J Clem Young begins
All pipes removed & cleaned. 16 Pedal Diapason seven pipes and
a new chest were built by Dick Bengston, who also built the chamade chest, with
the Moller Harmonic Trumpet. Missing pipes from the old Solo division were
replaced, a 1921 EM Skinner harp was installed. Solo, some Swell, Great
1982 Andrew Huntington
reconstructed Great and Swell Mixtures. An old Vox Humana chest was reconfigured
and old pipes were used to create a two-rank Pedal Mixture. It was never
Basement fire causes problems with the console and wiring. JCY is
contracted to clean and re-wire the organ. (wiring not completed) Console and
all chancel reeds sent to Casavant. Chamade Trumpet cleaned by JCY. Chimes installed, 32 electronic bass installed, swell engines
releathered. Additional stops and reservoirs releathered over the
Additional stops and reservoirs releathered over the next decade.
A view from the Trompette-en-chamade The 3-manual console (1965)
Proposed Organ Specification (Prepared Stops in Red)
1. 16 Bourdon
5. 8 Oboe
8. 2 2/3
10. Fourniture, IV
12. Mounted Cornet, III
13. 16' Trombone (Ped)
14. 8' Tuba (solo)
Viola da Gamba
2 2/3 Nazard
30. 8 Vox Humana
8 Trumpet en Chamade (solo)
28. 8' Geigen Diapason
29. 8' Voce Umana
8 Unda Maris
33. 4 Violina
8 Phonon Diapason
8 Harmonic Flute
8 Flugel Horn
43. 8 Tuba
45. 8 State Trumpet
48. 32 Contra Diapason (elect)
49. 32 Bourdon (elect)
Bourdon (from gt)
53. 8 Principal
54. 8 Bass Flute
55. 4 Choral Bass
Posaune (from sw)
Bombarde (from solo)
61. 4 Clarion
A Photographic Voyage through the organ....
One of many ladders to climb... to a view from the back of the facade.
Great Organ Swell Organ Choir Organ
Solo Organ E.M. Skinner - Harp Action
Pedal Div. Pipes - before! Wiring... eek!
before & after pedal action (releathered)
Zeno Fedeli Organ (chapel)
Principale 8', Flauto 8', Flautino 4', 2'
The church's former Director of Music, Mr. Gordon Adams, discovered this instrument lying in a music shop on Via Roma, Naples, Italy. It appears to have been build around 1860 in a town near Assisi. It was sitting unused in a church in Naples for over two decades. It was packed and moved to Philadelphia by the US Navy, later moved to the Miss Porter's School in Farmington, Connecticut. Work had been effected on the instrument by a builder in New York and later, was given by the school to the Church of the Holy Trinity in 1980.